Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012 79 miles approx 1,800 ft climb

Ann, Nancy and I started out from Ventura at 7:00 am.  We had studied the biking maps and determined we were going to have a combination of bike paths, Pacific coast highway, and a little ways on 101 which was a 4-lane divided highway.  I would say half of our 79 miles was on great bike paths!

We had only three big hills, and the rest seemed very minor.  Perhaps our perspective has changed since doing the 70,000 ft of climb from Bellingham to Ventura...or the tail wind made us feel especially powerful!  Anyway, the ride seemed quite flat for the most part.

The only 'bump' in the road was that I had a rear flat tire at 20 miles.  Our Sag, my husband, Dave, was a block away, and he showed up like the cavalry!  He arrived with the tire pump which made it all easier.  After changing it, we were putting it back on when the new tube blew!  Even with being very careful, we had pinched the tire.  Nancy and I were grateful for Dave's 'fresh thumbs' in getting the tire back on a second time.  After changing tube #2, we were finally on our way.

The rest of the ride was uneventful.  We became separated from Ann, but she is a very independent rider, and she made it to the hotel just fine.

Dave and I went out to dinner, Nancy met up with a friend in Redondo Beach, and Ann had dinner in front of the baseball game.  While I worked on photos and this blog, Dave found an Irish sports bar to watch the Vikings football game!  Everyone was happy!






























2 comments:

  1. What great pictures! I am pea green. I love that whole coastal area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were at Venice Beach in '08, had a great time. Didn't know about the cycling paths - they look perfect!! Of course, I wasn't officially a cyclist back then. Love your pictures of the area. "Hi" Dave :))

    ReplyDelete