Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wednesday, Oct. 17 San Francisco to Santa Cruz 85 miles 4,586 ft of climb

I have to admit, I was dreading getting out of San Francisco. It was quite hilly and the cue sheet was confusing with lots of turns (4 pages worth!), so I expected the same getting out on an 85 mile day.  As it turned out, it was much easier and simpler getting out, not quite as hilly it seemed.  (I think I was expecting the worst!)

It only took 8 miles to get out of the city (vs 20 to get in), where we were on the 'Great Highway.'  We rode into Daly City, a community of houses that were small and very close together on a big hill overlooking the ocean.  It reminded me of the old song, "Little Boxes" (on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky-tacky...)  But they did have a great view!

Once we passed Daly City, the hills became less steep, and followed the coast.  Mike and I were riding together to midway, and then a spoke broke on her back wheel.  After waiting for Jean to drive back to us, I went on by myself.  Later I had a flat, which took first myself and then Jean and Mike a total of 40 minutes to get the wheel back on!

I went on by myself to the end, glad to have done the 85 miles!





























3 comments:

  1. So nice to see sunshine! The Golden Gate at sunrise is spectacular!! And a flat tire ... not so much :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Golden Gate is truly awesome! And of course, missed the staple inside the tire, so woke up to yet ANOTHER rear flat tire! Our ride leader helped me find it and change the tire in record time! (See today's blog) I finally caught up from my blog-less day of playing in San Francisco!

    I see you are able to leave comments now. Others have had the same problem. What should I tell them?

    ReplyDelete